As a renowned and committed nitpicker, I am deeply embarrassed by this horrible senior moment (a.k.a. "brain fart").
OTOH, I am greatly disappointed that none of you folks caught the error. It would have been a great opportunity to dump on me for being a damn hypocrite.
There are lessons for all writers and publishers in this, of course:
- A spell-checker won't let you know if you have used the wrong word, but spelled it properly.
- Heterographs and homophones are dangerous.
- All writers need editors. Even editors who write need editors.
- The English language is a minefield.
- Nobody is perfect -- even nitpickers like me.
Naah! To err is human. It can also be funny.