Tom claims he “went from adolescence to senility, trying to bypass maturity.” He graduated from Harvard Magna Cum Laude at age 18 and made Phi Beta Kappa. He taught at MIT, Harvard, Wellesley and the University of California, but is best known for hilarious songwriting, much of it political satire in the 1950s and 60s.
Tom's musical career was powerful but brief. He said he performed a mere 109 shows and wrote only 37 songs over 20 years. Britain’s Princess Margaret was a fan, and so am I. I can still sing Tom Lehrer lyrics I first heard in seventh grade. See www.tomlehrer.org.
In 1960 Tom wrote and sang some excellent advice for graffiti writers: "Don't write naughty words on walls if you can't spell."
There is a corollary in publishing: Don't demonstrate your incompetence in public.
I am frequently amazed at the abysmal shit that appears on the websites and Facebook pages of book companies and on their pages on booksellers' websites. Either the people at these companies don't know they made errors or they don't care if they made errors. Either reason is tragic. If publishers can't put decent English, accurate information and proper typography on their own websites, how can any prospective author or reader have confidence in the books they produce?
Its website and Facebook page seem to be deliberately constructed to scam search engines. One page repeats the phrase "book printing" nearly 70 times!
The website and Facebook page are FILLED with careless errors that destroy all credibility for the company.
- "Pagedia - Is an innovative new company in the book industry, That delivers Hardcover book manufacturing, DVD-Book Packages and eBook Conversion and Distribution services."
- The website includes "Paperback Book Printing" under "Hardcover Services."
- "eReaders nearly doubled from December 2011 to January 2012." [Not likely.]
- The company confuses book distributors with booksellers.
- "Traing" [Training]
- "Includes 2 revision" [two revisionS]
- "Table of content" [contentS]
- It's ebook services are much more expensive than services from other companies such as eBookIt.
- Strangely, the Pagedia fax number is toll-free but voice calls must be paid for. Its voice phone line is shared with other businesses.
- Apparently the company can't produce hardcover books with dust jackets.
- "Thank you for visiting us feel free to read up on our latest titles" [This should be two sentences.]
- "LFF Publishing is the home of diversified literary. There is a book for everyone." [The first sentence is incomplete. The second sentence is untrue.]
- "Everything is not what it seems and when it comes to Mark. [Huh?] His ulterior motives for being with her soon come to light. Mark is not who he seems to be . . . ." [Sloppy repetition.]
- "Esquire Publications believe[s] that the collaborative relationship formed with our authors is the key to successful publishing. We are committed to excellence in all areas of the publishing process from concept to publication. Our team of professionals are [is] available every step of the way to guide you through the publishing process.
- "Nikivea Nikki Ellison and Brandon Richards were part[s] of Atlanta[']s wealthiest black families. Contrary to their familys [ies'] rivalry, Nikki and her beau Brandon fall deep in love. From private school to college their beautiful liaison was on the verge of transforming into something special until Nikki[']s world becomes . . . ."
- "King, a divorced middle-aged man that [who] soothes his internal pain with alcohol after being abandoned by his wife of 20 years. [This is not a sentence.]