Online booksellers often allow shoppers to preview the beginning of a book, and it’s important for shoppers to be able to read something that will convince them to buy the book.
- Don’t waste the opportunity to sell your book by including both a half-title and title page or other unnecessary material in an ebook.
- Try to condense and shift.
- Readers often skip introductory material in a pbook -- but it takes up valuable 'real estate' in an ebook.
- Maybe the dedication can go on the top of the contents page.
- Maybe you don’t need a foreword, a preface and an introduction.
- Maybe you don't need a list of illustrations.
- Maybe you don't need to thank eight teachers, five famous authors, the doctor who delivered you, your parents plus a dozen neighbors and friends in the front matter.
- Maybe the prologue can become Chapter One.
- I often put the disclaimers and notes in the end matter instead of the front matter.
Remington Steele was the name of a detective agency and eponymous TV show in the 1980s. The agency was owned by a woman who had trouble getting clients, so she invented the fake Mr. Steele to be her boss -- and business improved. Pierce Brosnan (later 007) was a thief and con man who assumed the role of Steele and became a fine detective.