"Through Archway Publishing, Simon & Schuster is pleased to be part of the rapidly expanding self-publishing segment of our industry," said Carolyn Reidy, president and CEO of Simon & Schuster. "Self-publishing has become a viable and popular route to publication for many authors, and increasingly a source of content for traditional publishers, including Simon & Schuster. We're excited that we'll be able to help more authors find their own path to publication and at the same time create a more direct connection to those self-published authors ready to make the leap to traditional publishing."
According to Bowker, self-publishing is one of the fastest growing sectors in the publishing industry, with 211,269 self-published titles (based on ISBNs) released last year, up more than 60 percent from 133,036 titles in 2010. Through ASI, a leading provider of professional self-publishing services, Archway is offering the premier publishing solution for authors interested in achieving their publishing goals and reaching their audiences through self-publishing.
Archway Publishing will offer a wide range of editorial, design, distribution and marketing services, provided by Author Solutions to help authors create the highest quality self-published books. In addition, the following services will be Archway Publishing exclusives:
· Concierge Service – Authors will have the option to work with a dedicated publishing guide who will coordinate each step of the book production process.
· Bookseller Catalog – Archway titles will be included in Edelweiss, the leading, industry-wide online catalog available to major retailers, wholesalers, libraries, bloggers and thousands of industry professionals.
· Archway Speakers Bureau – The Archway Speakers Bureau, powered by Speakerfile, helps authors connect to a world of potential speaking opportunities and establish themselves as credible voices in their fields.
· Premier Video Production and Distribution – Archway authors will have the opportunity to create high-quality videos and book trailers for distribution to major online video networks.
"The collaboration between Simon & Schuster and Author Solutions brings an entirely new level of expertise, experience and opportunity to the marketplace. It truly is the best time in history to be an author," said Author Solutions CEO Kevin Weiss.
So, what's wrong?
So, what's wrong?
|left-click to enlarge chart|
- Like the other ASI brands, Archway LIES about providing "free" and "complimentary" books. How the hell can a book be free if the author paid $24,999?!?!
- Author Solutions is deceptive and dishonest in other ways.
- Author Solutions is a massive pay-to-publish empire which has grown by acquiring and combining such former competitors as AuthorHouse, iUniverse, Trafford, Wordclay and Xlibris. It has a Spanish-language division called Palibrio. "ASI" also operates the self-publishing businesses for traditional publishers Harlequin, Thomas Nelson and Hay House, and has a self-publishing alliance with Writer Digest magazine. ASI is one company with multiple seemingly competing brands providing similar products at various prices. It's like General Motors. If you bought a Pontiac instead of a Buick or Chevy, GM still made money.
- If an author has a bad experience with Hay House or iUniverse, she may try Xlibris or AuthorHouse -- and work with the same people and receive the same bad service.
- ASI was recently bought by huge publisher Penguin, with many brands that compete with Simon and Schuster (owned by CBS). Who will be loyal to what? Will Penguin-owned ASI help S&S to compete with Penguin?
- Archway services are so expensive ($1,599 to $24,999!) that it is extremely unlikely that any Archway author will make a profit on publishing.
- Many ASI books are TERRIBLE.
- Many ASI customers are angry with the company.
Devil mask from costumes4less.com. Thanks!