- The American Revolutionary War was fought from 1775 to 1783 (eight years).
- The War of 1812 lasted about two years.
- The Civil War was fought from 1861 to 1865 (four years).
- World War One (a.k.a. "The Great War" and "The War to End All Wars") lasted from 1914 to 1918 (also four years).
- WW2 was fought from 1939 to 1945 (six years).
- The Korean War was fought from 1950 to 1953 (three years).
- American troops fought in The Vietnam War from 1965 to 1973 (eight years).
Morality is probably on the American side. Time, sadly, is probably on the Taliban side. Some wars just can't be won without bombing the country "back into the Stone Age."
The USA gave up on Vietnam after eight years. The Russians gave up on Afghanistan after nine years. The British gave up on Afghanistan after two years (1839-1841).
I feel extreme sorrow for the good people of Afghanistan, but short of a massive effort to resettle them elsewhere, I see no solution.
It's time to bring American troops home.
(photo by Fabrizio Bensch)