Expected terms and names are left out. The front cover screams, “How to Get Published Free.” The word “free” is not indexed, and I couldn’t find anything about free book publishing inside the book.
Some important tips:
- Remove duplicate listings. The same word shown in both roman and italic type, or with and without Initial Uppercase Letters, or in singular and plural form does not deserve two listings.
- Don't include any terms that nobody would look for.
- If you add or remove pages, update the index so page numbers will be accurate.
- Make sure that you include important terms, especially if they are on your cover or in your promotional material.
- Names should be listed under the last name.
- Check spelling.
Who is going to try to find a page about "birthday" or "Mike?" Why does Lawrence Taylor have one citation under "LT" but eleven without the "LT?" Why is Mentor in boldface and gunfire in italics? There seems to be no system for uppercasing, italicizing and boldfacing. The index lists both depression and Depression. Levi Jones is listed twice. People are listed under first names, not last. "Kroger's.," should be "Kroger,"
Did anyone look at this index before I did?