Saturday, July 10, 2010

Chop chop

This weekend I expect to complete the editing of my How to Get the Most out of a Self-Publishing Company.

I had assumed that the book would have 366 pages, and my cover artist produced the cover PDF with a template having a spine width based on 366 pages.

As of this afternoon, the book had 376 pages.

I could have simply requested a new template. It's free from my printer, Lightning Source.

However, I'd have to pay my artist to revise the cover, and she might not get to it for a while--which could delay the book's publication.

I decided to start chopping words, pictures, paragraphs and pages to get down to the prescribed 366 pages.

All books have fat. By cutting out some of it, I made a better book, lowered the printing cost by a few pennies and may have saved part of a small tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment